Sunday, November 18, 2012

Making something with your hands is healthy....

I have been saying this for a long time now. When I need to decompress, I stitch. Stitching, for me, is a form of meditation. I am not good at rhythmic breathing, "om"ing, or clearing my mind on queue, but I can lose myself in my stitching. Martha Stewart Living has an article in this month's issue (November 2012) about just this.

In the article, they interview a psychologist- Robert Reiner, and I quote him here- "Crafting can decrease your heart rate and blood pressure and even improve sleep. Your breathing takes on a regular pattern, which shuts down the body's anxiety producing fight-or-flight response."

I totally agree! The article goes on to talk about how crafting keeps you present, and in the moment so you can't worry about the future.

I highly recommend picking up this issue and reading the article!

Happy stitching!


Kimberly

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment