Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Walnut dye results...

Although not as intense as I thought, I am happy with the paler tone of the fabrics.

The spotted piece is silk that I was able to stain in a nice way. The cup forms are cotton organdy vessels- one dipped in walnut hull dye, and one not.

This image is taken from my sketchbook. I try to draw the stitching first, to see if the effect is what I want it to be, and then I translate it on the actual painting with needle and thread.

This is the result, although I have not decided whether to keep the brocade as an under layer. I may keep it more simple and leave the painting and linen.

Here is a close up- these stitches are tiny! The effect is subtle, but rich.



Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Walnut hull dye project!

Ok- I have purchased a special pot just for making dyes from all of the strange and wonderful stuff I find outside!

This is the walnut hull project!

You must wear gloves or you will have black hands for weeks- really. I had collected these hulls from the backyard of some friends of mine and left them for a while so they would be good and decomposed and moldy and perfect!

I attached shots of the walnuts before hulling, the walnut hulls in the pot, and the fabric I am going to dye. I also attached a picture of the wooden spoon I have been stirring with. This is going to be great!

I will post pictures of the results tomorrow.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad